Fish Facts, Diet, Classification, Characteristics, Behaviour, mating, habitat and list of fish species is here. Get best Facts about fishes and improve your knowledge.
Interesting Fish Facts
Some interesting fish facts that may don’t know:
- Fish are surviving on the earth for more than 450 million years.
- Fish were well established long before dinosaurs start ruling over the earth.
- The fish has more than 25,000 indentified species on this earth.
- It is assumed that there are still 15,000 fish species that are not identified yet.
- The fish has the more species than amphibians, reptiles, birds, and mammals combined.
- 40% of fish species requires fresh water to survive, and less than 0.01% water is available fresh on the earth.
- Some fish like sharks don’t absorb an air bladder to keep them float and must either swim continuously or rest on the bottom.
- Some catfish make sounds from their air filled swim bladder and other fish make sounds by grating their teeth.
- There are some species of the fish can fly and others can even climb on the rock. Other can skip along the surface.
- Fish have the special sense organ which helps them navigate in dark or murky water. It works like a radar system.
- Great whale shark is the largest fish which can reach fifty feet in length.
- Philippine goby is the smallest fish which is less than 1/3 of an inch after fully grown.
- Some species of fish also have the cartilage made skeletons.
- Fish have excellent senses of sight, taste, touch, and many possess a good sense of hearing and smell.
- Fish can also suffer stress and feel pain just like other mammals and birds.
- In U.S., Tropical fish is the most popular pet.
- Many Tropical Fish sold in the United State are harvested from the wild in Africa, Central and South America, and Asia.
If you are thinking to get a pet fish or already has a pet fish, then you might think about to feeding fish flakes from the local pet store is enough. Variety is the definitely the taste of the life. But how do you round out your fish’s diet the right way? Yes, Of course, you have to research for the particular species fish’s diet. You have to understand what your fish like to eat?
Vegetarians vs. Non vegetarians
As like the humans, the fish also can be omnivores, carnivores, or herbivores. So, you have to do research on it to find out the need of species that related fish you have. Feed your fish according to it. Don’t feed the continuously beef to your carnivores fish. But instead of this, we recommended to feed some worm or flies. The fish may get the hard time while digesting beef. You can get the little treats for your fish from the local fish.
Nobody likes to see the lazy obese fish lazing about on a plastic castle in the fish tank. To avoid this situation, you have to feed the limited quantity of food or don’t regularly serve the high fat content. The high quantity of fat may damage the liver and even eventually kill them. Instead, buy the high quality of the flakes that list their fat content on the side along with the rest of ingredients.
High quality flaked fish food has the backbone of a fish diet. The food ingredients are depends on which type of food you buy. But most of the flaked food is made up of fish meal, shrimp meal, squid meal, spirulina, earthworm, vitamins and minerals. This will provide your fish all nutrients that it needs but can’t get in captivity.
Flakes are the good choice to feed your fish. But there are more options of food from frozen to live that you can feed. These are especially made up for the fishy friends and are also species specific. You have the fish food options like dry food, freeze dried, frozen, fresh, and live food.
Types of Fishes
The evolution of the fish recorded about 500 million years ago when the first fish like creatures made their appearance. The first developed the jawless fish and today only two varieties of jawless fish exist – the hagfish and the lampreys.
Classification According to Species
The American Fisheries Society gives the following three classes of fish on the basis of species:
This is the most primitive class of fish. It has now jaws, and undeveloped backbones. It is also known as the Jawless Fish.
This category of fish has jaws and is characterized by their cartilaginous skeletons, and the lack of bones in their body. This class of fish is divided into three types – Skates, Sharks, and rays.
These are the jawed fish too and have partly or full bony skeletons and no cartilage. The class is divided in to two types – Sarcopterygii and Actinopterygii.
Classification According to Habitat
The different type of species found in the different water/ habitat. So, it is divided in to three types of habitat:
- Marine Fish
Marine fish can be found in the water which has an average pH level of 8.2. These fish have the brilliant colors and many different physical adaptations which helps them to save themselves from the predators. The marine fish is divided in to three types – Herbivorous, Carnivorous, and Omnivorous.
- Freshwater Fish
Fresh water fish can easily found in the very low levels of less than 0.05% level of salinity. The fresh water species are now in danger due to the increasing of water pollution.
- Migrating Fish
Migrating fish can travel for huge distances of thousand kilometers. The main reason of migrate the fish is diet and reproduction according to researchers. The migrating fish has divided into two types – Catadromous and Anadromous.
Common Characteristic of Fishes
Fish are diverse and each species has evolved to live successfully in its specific underwater environment, from streams and lakes to widely open sea. Here are few common characteristic of fishes:
All fish have the gills from the birth to their death. Gills are the important organs for fish as they will able to breathe with the help of it. These are the gills which absorb oxygen from the water and gives off carbon dioxide. The gills are located on the both side of the fish’s head.
The Fish are not able to regulate the internal temperature of their body as they are ectotherms or cold blooded species. So, they get the warmth from the external source to get warm their bodies. Some fish may get slow in the winter season in like lakes.
All fish have a swim bladder which is filled with air and helps to ensure that the fish maintains stable buoyancy in the water, neither floating nor sinking. The presence of a swim bladder allows the fish to sleep in the water without sinking to the bottom of its habitat. There are few species which can swallowed air and sent to the swim bladder. This adaption also helps the fish to survive in the water that do not have enough levels of oxygen.
Fins are the common part of the fish that helps them to swim and maintain the stability while dorsal and ventral fins reduce the rolling motion while the fish is swimming and help them during turns. The tail fin propels the fish toward while swimming.
Are Fish Animals?
Yes, you can count the fish as an Animal. When we look at the classification of the animilia, we get the chordata which has the two types – vertebrates and invertebrates. Pisces are one of the organisms of vertebrates and fishes are Pisces. So, you can count fishes as animals.
Fish require healthy surroundings to survive and reproduce. The fish habitat should have the various types of habitat including all types of aquatic habitat – Coral Reefs, Wetlands, Sea grasses, and Rivers where fish breed, spawn, feed or grow to maturity. The fish have to good aquatic conditions to grow up to maturity. The owner has to keep the habitat clean otherwise it can be harmful for the fish to survive in the habitat. But it also depends on the species of the fish, if it required fresh water or not.
Fish reproduction or fish mating happened by the reproductive organs of the fish include testes and ovaries. In most of species, gonads are paired organs of similar size which can be totally or partially fused. There may also be a range of secondary organs that increase the fitness of reproduction in fishes. Also, there are few species of the fish which lays the eggs as well.
Fish as a Pet
Fish are the wonderful pets for the peoples who don’t have time or physical space for their companion animal. Under this situation, fish is the good option to get as pet to teach the children the responsibility of caring for a pet. Here are few reasons why fish is good as a pet:
- Fishes are easy to get and less expensive to feed & care as compared to other pets. However, fish needs proper environment and knowledgeable caretakers.
- Unlike other pets, fish don’t behave wildly if you let it home alone.
- Fish are known to have a tranquil and calming effect on anyone who watches them swim equivocally through the water.
- Fish are quite. So, you have to not worry about a braking or squawking fish waking a sleeping baby or upsetting the neighbors.
- You can get the fish in variety of sizes, shapes, and stunning vibrant colors.
- Fish will not be walked and also didn’t require the litter box. Along with it, they will never leave a surprise on your brand new carpet.
- Fish is one of the clean pets that you don’t have teeth brushed or groomed.
- The fish will not bring the dirt or mud from outside or spread it in all over house with paws.
- A fish aquarium of any size, as long as you can maintained it. You can get any beautiful aquarium fitted in your room.
- There are some types of fishes which interact with their owners, are playful and can even be trained to do tricks.
Get Facts About Other Species